Snow White and The Huntsman, the beautifully filmed dark adaptation of the classic fairytale White did surprisingly well in the box office this spring, even before the tabloids had a field day with the indiscretions of the title actress and the director. Today the Snow White and The Huntsman DVD and Blu-Ray was released with a ton of extras and behind the scenes interviews that are well worth the $20 price tag.
Snow White and the Huntsman Blu Ray is quite nice actually. It’s sound and picture are as clear as if you’re watching it on the big screen. But what really stands out is that Universal has continued their trend of putting out great DVD’s worth your time.
The disc comes with an Extended cut, if you want more Snow White and Huntsman action. Then there are the plethora of special features, something that a lot of DVD’s don’t offer anymore. Again, Universal at work for ya. Universal’s Second Screen option doesn’t take all the meant out of the disc. While I’ve always liked the Second Screen feature, in the last few years since it’s release, it has thinned out the actual content on the disc. Thankfully, not the story here.
Several behind the scenes features give you a nice peak at the making of the film. More importantly though, the original pitch film is available here. While it’s not uncut, it’s fun to see where the idea for Snow White and the Huntsman came from. There’s actually a bit of history to this film. Want to know how the look of the film came to be, that’s here too. Interviews with the cast, got that. Even a fine collection of behind the scenes photos.
Lastly, there’s a feature commentary by the director Rupert Sanders and his producer. I wouldn’t strongly recommend it as it’s a bit dry, and not really that informative. But that’s just me.
Snow White and the Huntsman is a fun film. Quite beautiful to look at too! And the Blu Ray, it looks quite stunning too. It’s definitely worth a pick up.
Special features include:
- A New Legend Is Born: a behind the scenes featurette with director Rupert Sanders and the cast with a special section with costume designer Colleen Atwood.
- Feature Commentary with director Rupert Sanders, visual effects supervisor Cedric Nicolas-Troyan and co-editor Neil Smith
- Reinventing the Fairy Tale: a discussion with Rupert Sanders and the writers including the 3 minute “Tone Poem” that conveyed how the SWATH world would come together.
- Citizens of the Kingdom: Focuses on Kristen Stewart’s Snow White, Chris Hemsworth’s Huntsman, Charlize Theron’s Queen Ravenna, and the Dwarves.
- The Magic Of Snow White and the Huntsman
- Around the Kingdom: 360° Set Tour
- Universal’s Second Screen: An innovative viewing experience that allows viewers to control, interact with and explore Snow White and the Huntsman with groundbreaking features on a networked tablet or computer, in synch with the movie on the television screen! As the movie plays, experience features such as:
- Flick View: Move content from the tablet to the TV screen, and compare storyboards, animatics, and other exciting bonus material with a “flick” of the fingers.
- Behind the Scenes (Picture in Picture)
- Around the Kingdom: 360° Set Tour
- Virtual Flip books
- Cast of Characters
- UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to TV’s, computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronics and portable devices including computers, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™ touch, Android™ and more!
- pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
- BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
Snow White and The Huntsman was delightful to watch and the behind-the-scenes moments were equally as enjoyable.
Snow White and The Huntsman is available today.